Safe Asbestos removal IS A SUBJECT THAT CONCERNS A LOT OF PEOPLE EVEN THOUGH ASBESTOS WHEN LEFT ALONE DOESN’T REALLY CAUSE A LOT OF PROBLEMS. SHOULD YOU NEED TO WORK ON OR NEAR ASBESTOS IT IMPORTANT YOU UNDERSTAND ALL THE RISKS AND IN SOME CASES HAVE THE APPROPRIATE LICENSES AND CONTROLS IN PLACE.

Asbestos is a mineral that occurs naturally and historically has been a key ingredient in many construction materials. The reason for this is that asbestos lends fire resistant properties to materials and also makes them a lot more rigid.. Believe it or not asbestos has been used in the past in home products such as ironing boards and even oven gloves!

From the early 1900s right through to the 1980s, asbestos was used as a key construction material.

At home you might locate asbestos in the following typical areas:

  • rain water fall pipes, eaves and gutters
  • fire blankets
  • shed roofs and garages
  • linings for doors, ceilings and walls
  • storage heaters (usually within the insulation panels)
  • bath panels
  • flues for central heating
  • loose asbestos packing between party walls and floors
  • floor tiles

Generally speaking, people are only exposed to very low or minimal levels of asbestos which is present in the atmosphere. Quite often there are no seeming health effects. However it is potentially extremely hazardous if asbestos dust or fibres are inhaled in high amounts over a period of time. This can cause serious lung diseases and cancer also. The symptoms of these diseases often do not appear for between 20 -30 years after exposure to asbestos.

Guidance on working with asbestos can be found on the HSE website www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos